The Microsoft Office 365 Connector allows IntelligenceBank users with an Office 365 account to Create and Edit compatible Microsoft documents within IntelligenceBank.
This will allow for greater collaboration amongst users, quicker feedback when editing and an audit trail including tracked changes within the Office document if enabled.
The connector is an add on, if you'd like a demonstration please speak to your Customer Success Manager.
- How to Access the Microsoft Office 365 Connector
- Editing an Office Document within a Folder
- Creating a New Office Document within a Folder
- Working Files within a Folder
- Editing an Office Document within a Workflow
- Managing an Office Document within a Workflow
- Additional Information
How to Access the Microsoft Office 365 Connector
The Microsoft Office 365 Connector is an add-on, if enabled, you'll be able to see it in two places, the Resource Module and within a Workflow. If you are a Publish level permission user or above you'll see the Edit Online action on compatible file types.
The compatible file types are:
- Word - docx
- Excel - xlsx
- Powerpoint - pptx
Editing an Office Document in a Folder
As a Publish or higher-level user, you'll see the Edit Online action against compatible file types. Clicking Edit Online will take you to Office Online in a new browser tab, you'll be prompted to log in with your Office 365 account if not already logged in.
From here you can make edits to your Office document as if you were in Office Online normally.
Clicking Close on the Office Online Editor tab will show a popup in IntelligenceBank.
You MUST close the Editor tab before Saving otherwise your last Edits will not show.
Clicking Save will save your Office Online edits over the existing Resource, clicking Save will take you to the Edit Resource page where the upload field is already populated with the Office Online file, or you can leave your changes in the Working Files area if you wish to continue Editing it later or are awaiting feedback and collaboration with others.
Creating a New Office Document in a Folder
When in a Folder as a Publish or higher level user, click on the Add button, then click on Office Online. From here you can select the file type and input a name for your Office document.
Once you've clicked Create File, you'll be taken to Office Online editor in a new tab. Here you can begin creating your document.
Once you've closed the Office Online editor tab, you'll see a prompt to either Save, this will create a new Resource from the Office Online file within the Folder, or select Working Files to see where your Office Online document is sitting waiting to be created as a Resource.
Working Files in a Folder
The Working Files area is where all Active Edits of existing Microsoft Documents appear, or where newly created ones are located waiting to be created as a Resource.
You can access it by clicking on the Working File toggle in a Folder, similar to toggling between Resources and Folders. The toggle will appear as long as there is at least one Office Online Edit in progress within that Folder.
Within the Working Files area:
- Click the Pencil Icon to rename the Working File
- The Edit Online action will take you to the Office Online Editor in a new browser tab, you'll be prompted to log in with your office 365 account if not already logged in
- Email Link will allow you to send a Link to the Working File. Only users with Publish and higher permission on that Folder will appear in the User list
- Click Publish to Save the Working File over the Resource,
- If the Working File is a new Document then you'll be taken to the New Resource page to fill in any metadata.
- If the Working File is an Edit of an Existing Office Document, then you'll be taken to the Edit Resource page where you can edit existing metadata before saving.
- If there is a Workflow on the Folder then the normal process applies, on Save, the Resource will be sent to the Workflow / Approval area.
- Download will download the current Working File to your desktop.
- Delete will remove the Working File. It will not delete the associated Resource is there is one.
Editing an Office Document within a Workflow
If a compatible Office file is within a Workflow, then you'll be able to Edit the document Online without having to download or leave the platform.
Note: Revisions have been used below as an example however the functionality also applies to Versions.
As a Publish or higher-level user, you'll see the Add/Edit Online Revision button against compatible file types within the Markup or Revision Tab of the Review Request area.
Clicking on the Add/Edit Online Revision button will display the normal Add Revision page, however, there is the addition of an Edit in Office Online action.
Clicking the Edit in Office Online action will take you to Office Online in a new browser tab, you'll be prompted to log in with your Office 365 account if not already logged in.
Managing an Office Document within a Workflow
If you or another user has Edited a compatible Office file in a workflow, you'll see it as a Pending Office Online Edit within the Review Request area.
A Pending Office Online Edit has an up-to-date preview of the Office Online file, this is Office 365 functionality however it is a public preview, so Users without an Office 365 account can still view it.
There are two actions against a Pending Office Online Edit. Only Publish level users and above that have access to the workflow will see them.
- Clicking on Edit Online will take you to Office Online in a new browser tab, you'll be prompted to log in with your Office 365 account if not already logged in, from here you can begin to Edit the file.
- You MUST close the Editor tab before Saving otherwise your last Edits will not show. Clicking Save will save the Office Online file as a Revision. In addition to this Save action, if a user adds a new Revision or submits a Workflow Response, then the Pending Office Online Edit is automatically saved as a Revision.
Against a Pending Office Online Edit users can use the Markup Tab to add comments. As the Office comments functionality is restrictive this is a good area to comment or @ mention users to receive alerts, updates or have a conversation.
- A Business Office 365 account is required to use this connector.
- All Office Documents are stored within IntelligenceBank servers. Editing the Documents uses Office 365 functionality and your Business Office 365 account
- There is currently a Microsoft Office File Size limit of 5MB, you'll be able to Save if you go over this limit but you won't be able to Edit again
- Publish Users without a Business Office 365 account can still see the Working Files in the Folder and Publish those Working Files
Please note that the 'Resources' and 'Workflows' terminology referenced above may appear differently in your platform as these are customisable terms. You can view related terminology here.
If you have any further questions about the Microsoft Office 365 Connector, please contact your Customer Success Manager.