To easily monitor user engagement or assist with general governance across your platform, Admin users can view the Actions of all Users on their platform in a single Usage Report, which can also be exported as an Excel spreadsheet.
Click the links below to jump to the relevant section:
- Where to find the Usage Report
- Default Usage Report View
- Data Columns
- Report Filters / Search
- Export Usage Data
Where to find the Usage Report
To view the usage of all your platform's Users, go to Admin > Users and click the Usage Report icon up top of page.
This will open the Usage Report page.
Default Usage Report View
The default view for the Usage Report will display the past month's data, with no filters selected.
This will display Users' Actions on the platform, with the most recent listed at the top.
The data that is displayed in the report's columns are:
- Module: The area of the platform the Users' Actions occurred in.
- Action: Such as 'View' a Database Record, or 'Download' a Resource.
- Item: Such as the name of the viewed Folder, Resource or Record.
- Source: Only populated when Action occurred via an External API.
- Date/Time: When the Action occurred.
- User: Who carried out the Action
- Emulated By: If the Action was carried out by one Admin user emulating another platform User, the name of the Admin user will be displayed here. If the Action was directly carried out by the platform User, this column will display as 'N/A'
Report Filters / Search
Users' Usage data can be returned to match a specific date range or single day by selecting required dates in the From and To filter fields.
The usage data can also be filtered down to only include Users who belonged to specific Divisions or Groups at the time of the action (i.e. if a user belongs to different Groups and Division now, the filtering will still apply based on the Groups and Division that applied at the time the action was lodged in the Usage Report).
You can also select specific Users from here, and additionally filter to only see Actions that have occurred within certain Modules on the platform; such as Resources, Database or even a specific Databases' Records or Survey's Responses.
After selecting your Filters, clicking Search will update the data shown below.
Export Usage Data
Clicking Export Usage Data will download an .xls document to your browser.
This will match what is displayed on the platform at the time of Export - if Filters have been enabled, only the results that match those filters will be exported.
Exports are limited to the first 100,000 rows of Usage data.
You can see an example of this process below:
Please note that the some terminology referenced above may appear differently in your platform as these are customisable terms. You can view alternative options here.