Enable Custom Upload Fields to add additional fields to the Upload form, enriching the information captured about each file on upload or update, and also providing additional search mechanisms.
To skip to a specific section, click the headings below:
How to Access the Custom Upload Fields Feature
To set up your Custom Upload Fields, you will need to go to your Resources module home page (click the Home icon on your folder page) and follow the steps below.
Note that the configuration of this feature is only available to users with Admin permission on the Resources module.
- Go to your Resources home page
- Click the More icon at the top right of the page (next to the Add button) and then the Metadata Mapping option that appears.
- Click the Custom Upload Fields action in the Side Panel that is the first option in the list.
You can see how to complete the above steps in the gif below:
How to Create Custom Upload Fields
Once you click the Custom Upload Fields action, you will be taken to the Custom Form Builder. If you use the Databases module to create or edit Databases, you will be familiar with this page.
On the left hand side of the page you can see a list of Elements. These are the options you can choose from when adding your new fields. You can see a full list of the fields supported below.
To add Custom Upload Fields, follow the steps below:
- Click on the Element you would like to add. For example, if you would like to add a Free text field, click on the Text button.
- Add a Field Title and any additional information required, ie Help Copy, Placeholder text, etc. Note that there are different options available for each field type.
- Click Save and Close to Add the field. Note that once you have clicked saved, these changes will automatically appear for all users Uploading or Updating Resources on the platform.
You can see a demonstration of this process below:
Things to Note:
- You can add a maximum number of 10 Custom Upload Fields
- These fields will instantly apply to all Resources added within the Resource module. Further customization options will be added in the future (i.e. Groups/Divisions, File Types or Folder based restrictions...).
- Once Fields are added, they are immediately available to users when uploading or editing resources.
- You can also make fields mandatory by clicking the Mandatory tab once you select an Element.
- Only fields with actual values will display in Info Preview or other locations, as per the standard behavior for default system fields
- Support for conditional display of section and fields based on other fields will be added in the near future
Supported Field Types
- Select (including Global Filters or custom values as a source)
Adding or Updating Resources using Custom Upload Fields
Once Custom Upload Fields have been successfully added, they will be available as soon as you add or edit a Resource, whether it be in bulk or individually. For example in the screenshot below, you can see the Custom Upload fields that were added above on the Bulk Upload form.
If a Resource has been added or updated with the Custom Upload data added, this detail will also appear on the Info Preview page (as indicated below).
Integration of Custom Upload Fields into Search Options
Search Filtering Side Panel
- Date Fields will be added to the Dates area
- All Text & Numeric Based Fields (text, website, email, number, currency, phone...) will be included by default in keyword based searches (in the main search bar) when "All" is selected in Search Scope (default)
- Select Fields will be listed in the Filters area
- All Text & Numeric Based Fields (text, website, email, number, currency, phone...) will also be available under Custom Rules
- All Custom Upload Fields are available as display fields and filtering conditions in Stats and Dashboards as per default System fields
Difference Between Global Fields & Custom Select Fields
Global Filters are pre-determined lists that can be used across multiple tools. Currently, only Global Filters support Folder based field restrictions, or Division based values.
In the future, Global Filters will become available directly into the Form Builder (which powers the Custom Upload Fields feature) as "Field Presets", that is, pre-determined lists which can be used across multiple forms though only requiring to be maintained once.
Folder & Division based restrictions will also become available directly on Custom Select Fields.
Note as well this article outlining how custom select field values are handled when a Global filter is set as a Select Field source.
To find out more about Custom Upload Fields please contact your Customer Success Manager or our Helpdesk.
Please note that the Resources terminology referenced above may appear as another name in your platform as these are customisable terms. You can see examples of what terminology may appear on your site here.