User Lookup fields enable the selection of users within a dropdown menu on your Record. You can use this field to send alerts, assign permissions and ensure the correct users have been notified of a new task.
Setting up a User Lookup field
There are multiple options available when setting up a new user lookup field in the Form Builder. To gain access to these, you need to select Users. To do so:
- Select Lookup as the Element
- Ensure that the Lookup Type field is set to Lookup Select.
- Select Users as the option in the Lookup Table
You will then be presented with a number of options (as pictured below).
- Multiple: Select multiple Users in the dropdown on the record.
- Integrated fields:These are additional pieces of information that will be displayed on the record and when selecting the users. This information comes from the My Account page of each user, as well as the Admin area for the Group and Division option. The options include: Email, Group, Title, Division, Company, Address 1, Address 2, Suburb/City, State, Postcode, Country, Mobile, Phone, Status or Timezone. By default, the Full name of the user will appear.
- Use Parent Thumbnail: This will use the selected Users thumbnail as the thumbnail of the record. Note that this is only available if Single selection is in place; ie Multiple is not enabled.
This determines which users will appear in the dropdown. You can restrict the selection to:
- All Users: This is the default option; the user can select from all users within the platform.
- Select User(s): Select specific users that will appear as the options in the dropdown. For instance, this might be useful if there are specific members of management who have to approve a request.
- Select Group(s) Users: Restrict the selection to users from selected Groups.
- Select Division(s) Users: Restrict the selection to users from selected Divisions
After choosing which users will appear in the User Lookup field, you can select additional options:
- Default to Logged In User: If enabled, the user who is logged in will be selected by Default.
- Lock Selection: When 'All Users' is the Selection Option and Default to Logged in User is selected, this field will display. When selected all non-Admin users will be unable to change this field to another user.
- Auto-Assign User as Group Permission: This will apply the selected permission to the user(s) selected in the field. Once enabled, additional options will appear.
- Only Auto-assign on Creation: This restricts the permission to only be assigned when the record is being created, not when it is updated.
- Permission: Users can be assigned either View or Edit permission on the Record. Note that they will still require permission to access the Records in the Database.
- Remove Record Custom Permission Rules if User is Unselected: This will automatically remove the User(s) permission as it was assigned in this field if the user is later removed from the field.
You can read more about your Databases module here.
Please note that the 'Database', 'Records' and 'Resources' terminology referenced above may appear differently in your platform as these are customisable terms.
If you have any further questions please contact your Customer Success Manager.