This article covers the options available for Alerts (Markup) and the customisation methods that are supported. Click on the items below to be taken to the relevant section.
- What alerts are available?
- Where can I customise the alerts?
- Instant Alerts in Admin
- Instant Alerts in My Account
- Markup Comments - Instant Alert options
- @mention Instant Alert
What alerts are available?
Alerts (Markup) now have two options:
- Instant Alerts
"Instant Alerts" are Email Alerts that are immediately sent out once an action has been performed, for example adding a comment. These are currently only supported in the Markup Comments (Resource Approvals) space.
- Digest Frequency
"Digest Frequency" are Email Alerts that are currently only available for "@mentions" comments. They allow the individual user to select "Never", "Hourly", "Daily" and "Weekly" frequencies for these emails.
Where can I customise the alerts?
- Admin module, in a new tab called "Alerts (Markup)" - Administration users only
- "My Account" - All users
Customisation options for "Alerts" relate to the events that prompt an alert to be set. For instance, users can customise whether they want to receive an alert for every New Reply added or just for every Reply that's responding to them.
Alerts in Admin
Alerts can be customised in the Admin module, in a new tab called "Alerts (Markup)". The options set here will be the default options for all users until they customise them in My Account.
If the options here are updated, they will automatically be applied to any new user and to any existing users who have not updated their own alert settings via My Account. If users have updated their settings via My Account, any changes in Admin will not apply.
To access the Instant Alert options, open the Admin module and click the "Alerts (Instant)" tab. You can see an example of this below.
The options available in this area will be dependent on the areas of the platform where Instant Alerts apply. Currently, this only includes Markup Comments. To see more about those settings specifically, see the Markup Comments section below.
Alerts My Account
By default, all users will have the default Alert settings enabled that are set in the Admin area. If they wish though, a user can customise these Alerts, ensuring they're only informed about the updates they wish to see. Any changes made on this page will only apply to the logged in user.
To access Alerts in My Account, the user should navigate to their My Account area (noting that it may not be called My Account) and scroll down to the Alerts (Markup) button. Click the button to open the Instant Alerts page.
Once any changes have been made, click Save on the Alerts page to apply them.
You can see an example of this below:
The user will be able to select from 3 types of Alerts in "My Account":
- Admin Default - this will follow whatever is set in the "Admin area" and is the default selection.
- Custom - the user can customise the Alert (Markup) options in the Triggers section. By default, they will see what is set in the "Admin Area".
- Off - the user will not receive any Markup Alerts.
If the user selects Custom, they will be able to select which Triggers (events) they wish to receive alerts on. The options available here are specific to the module/feature it applies to. Currently, this includes Markup Comments and the following section includes more detail on the options available.
Markup Comments - Alerts
The Markup Comments feature available within specific Resources Workflows supports the Markup Comments Alerts. The Instant Alert options allow users to decide what triggers they wish to see alerts on.
When will users receive alerts?
It's important to note that though the Default Alert settings will apply to all users, alerts will not be sent unless the user is involved in the request. Users will only receive Alerts in the following scenarios:
- When the user is directly involved in the Request, ie they are a Reviewer or Requestor.
- If it's a Staged Workflow, only Reviewers involved in the Current Stage will receive alerts.
Note that Users will never receive alerts on their own items, for instance, if New Comment is selected, the user will not receive an alert when they add a New Comment; only if another user does so.
Below is the list of current Triggers (events) and a brief explanation of what email Alerts they will send when enabled:
- @Mentions: Alert for any @mention added.
- New Comments: Alert for any new Comment (Standalone or Comment with Annotation) added.
- New Replies: Alert for any Reply added.
- Only Replies to My Comments / Replies: This is only available if New Reply is selected. Alert for any Reply made to a User's Comments only. Ie, user does not receive alerts for replies to another Participant’s Comment.
- Updated Comment Status (Resolved / Unresolved): Alert for when any Comment is Resolved / Unresolved.
- Only My Comments: This is only available if Updated Comment Status is selected. Alert for when the User's Comments are Resolved / Unresolved by other Users.
- Edited Comments: Alert for when any Comment is edited (excluding their own). Note that only the Creator of a Comment is able to edit it.
- Deleted Comments: Alert for when any Comment is Deleted (excluding their own). Note that only the Creator of a Comment is able to edit it.
- New Revisions: Alert for when a New Revision has been added to the Request.
Markup Comments Default Settings
By default, the following options will be selected in the Admin and thus also the My Account area.
Other Markup Comment articles available include: Markup Comments Overview, Markup Comments Support, Access & Restrictions, Markup Comments & Annotations, Video Markup Comments & Annotations, Add New Versions / Revisions in Markup Comments, Instant Alerts (Markup Comments).
To read more about Approvals click here.
Please note that the 'Approvals', 'Admin' and 'My Account' terminology referenced above may appear differently in your platform as these are customisable terms. You can view related terminology here.
If you have any further questions about Markup Comments, please contact your Customer Success Manager.
Please sign in to leave a comment.