When downloading a single image file, users are able to download the original image, as well as downloading additional versions of the image. This can include downloading existing or newly created Presets and Transformations. Similar to the options available in Bulk Image Download, these additional transformation options are generated after the user has clicked the Download button and will be downloaded in a zip folder. If the user only downloads the original image, this will be downloaded immediately as a single file.
This article covers the options available when downloading a single Image file. To find out more about how to Download other file types individually, click here.
- Accessing the Download features
- Images Display
- Download Options
- Applying Presets
- Transformations Restrictions
- Downloading your Image(s)
Accessing the Download features
To access this feature, go to the image you wish to Download and click the Download icon. This will be available with the actions on the right of the page if you are in the List View, or if you hover over the image when in the mosaic view.
Note that only users with Access, Publish or Admin permission on the folder, along with Main Admin and Resource module Admins will be able to view this action.
If there is a Download Approval request enabled on this folder, you may see an alternate icon to the one pictured above. This indicates that you will need to submit an approval request prior to being granted permission to download.
The image selected for Download will appear on the left of your screen.
On the right side of the page are the download options that you can apply to your image. There are two tabs here that you can switch between, SINGLE DOWNLOAD and PRESETS DOWNLOAD.
You can only download from 1 of these tabs at a time, ie Single Download OR Presets Download. The tab which is open when you click the Download button will be downloaded.
Your selection will also be remembered, so the tab that was last opened will also be your default the next time you open a Single Download page.
Single Download Tab
Within the Single Download tab you can apply both basic and advanced transformation options.
If you only want to download the Original file, you can click the Download button at the bottom right of the page, as highlighted below:
Default Single Download options
These are the actions that will automatically be available when the Single Download tab is opened:
- Load Existing Preset: This option allows you to quickly apply an existing Single or Global Preset. This will load the settings of that preset on your page.
- Properties: You can change the File Format, Compression Quality and Compression Type. Note that if your file type is not supported as an output transformation, you will need to switch to another File Format to view these options or download the original file.
- Dimensions: Here you can change the dimensions of the image. You can also click the Crop button (pictured below) to quickly crop the image.
Cropping & Advanced Single Download options
Once the Crop button or Custom Image Dimension options > Crop is selected, additional options will be available. This is because the Advanced Single Download options have been automatically enabled. You do not have to fill out all of the options below.
- Properties: Color Space, Flip and Rotate will now be available. You will need to scroll up the page to view these options.
- Output Dimensions: These can now be changed, either in the Output Dimensions field or by dragging the border dots (highlighted in the circle below) on the image itself.
- Aspect Ratio: Next to the Output Dimensions is the Aspect ratio icon (highlighted in the rectangle below). When clicked, the dropdown will display a number of options you can use to quickly apply a specific ratio to your image.
- Allow Output Area to be outside of Pre-Crop Image: This setting determines whether the image's Output area can be outside the image's dimensions. When disabled, the Preview will also resize each time the output is changed, ensuring the largest preview is always viewed. Then enabled, the Output Dimensions can be larger than the original and allows Fill Type and Color to be added.
- Match Output: This appears when the Allow output setting is disabled. It provides a quick option to automatically match the Pre-Crop Dimensions to the Output Dimensions.
- Other Dimension options: You can also change the Pre-Crop Dimensions and Fill Type / Color.
You can also read about these options in more detail here.
For an example of how to quickly crop and apply an aspect ratio within the Single Download tab, see the gif below.
Note that what is downloaded is specific to the tab you are on. If you have made changes to the Single Download tab, download these and click download again if you also wish to download Presets. Alternatively, you can do both in Bulk Download.
Presets Download Tab
The Presets Download tab allows you to download multiple versions of the image at once. Multiple types of Presets can exist.
Note that Single and Global Presets can only be created by Resource Admins, so if you don't see some of the options below they may not have been created yet.
The different type of Presets are explained below.
These are the default options that will always be available. System Presets will either include:
- File Formats supported by default include: the Original, JPEG, PNG, GIF, BMP, TIFF, PDF
- Image Dimensions supported by default: Small (25% of the Original Dimensions), 50%, 75%.
Note that for each of the options above, these will be applied to the Original file separately. For example if you select PNG and Small, you will receive two files, the Original file as a PNG and the Original file with Small Dimensions. It will not download a PNG file which is Small. If you wish to do that, see Ad Hoc Preset or Single Download.
Single Presets are specific transformations for a specific image. Single Presets will only apply to the current image, ie you will not see another image's single presets on your current one. They allow you to quickly apply transformations, without needing to change anything.
They can be added / edited by Resource Admins and managed in Single Download by clicking the Manage Icon at the top right of the Presets Download tab. Any user who can download the image will be able to apply Single Presets.
The Single Presets section (highlighted below) will only appear if Single Presets exist for your current image. To apply these, simply select the checkbox next to the name of the preset you wish to select.
Global Presets are created for common transformations that need to be regularly applied to images. These are available to be selected and applied in Single Download. If Global Presets exist, all users will be able to apply them when downloading images. Simply select the required Global Preset in order to include it in your Download.
These can be added / edited by Resource Admins and managed in Single Download by clicking the Manage Icon at the top right of the Presets Download tab. Any user who can download any image will be able to apply Global Presets.
You can read more about creating new Global Presets here.
Ad Hoc Presets
Ad Hoc Presets allow users to add a one-off Transformation that is only available for the current Download Request. These can be created by all users. The options available for Ad Hoc Preset copy the settings available for Single Presets, allowing users to crop their image on the page directly. You can see a full explanation of those options here or view an example of how to create one below.
Once you add an Ad Hoc Preset, it will automatically be pre-selected on the Transformation Options page, allowing you to quickly apply it to your images. Like with other transformations, Presets will only be accessible once the images have been Downloaded.
Estimate File Size
At the bottom of the Ad Hoc Preset page is an option to Estimate the File Size that will be downloaded.
Click the File Size button to get your estimate. Note that if a number of changes have been made this might take a moment.
You can see an example of this at the end of the gif above.
You can apply any Preset by simply clicking the checkbox next to the Preset name. Then click Download to download all selected versions. By default, only the Original will be selected. If you load the Presets Download tab and click download without making any changes, only the Original Image will be downloaded.
In rare instances, the image file will not be supported for transformations. This includes when:
- File format is not supported for transformations. This currently includes formats like indd, crw, raf.
- File size is over 500MB. Note that in some instances this limit can be increased. Please contact your Administrator or Customer Success Manager to find out more.
In these few instances, the original image file will automatically download.
Downloading your Image(s)
To Download your Transformations, click the Download or the Presets Download button at the bottom right of your screen (as you can see highlighted below). What is downloaded will be specific to each tab and only one button can be selected.
After you click a Download button, a number of things may occur:
- If you are only downloading the Original image or a single image transformation, ie one file, it will immediately download.
- If there is more than 1 items in your download they will be downloaded within a zipfile.
For downloads requiring a Transformation, you will be able to view the progress of the Transformations and Zipping process in the Jobs List Popup. When these processes have been completed, the zipfile will automatically download according to your Browsers behaviour. It's important to ensure that popups are not blocked on your browser as this might prevent the file from downloading. If you wish to download the file again, you can do so by clicking the Download action in the Jobs popup.
Note that after download, if an option other than the Original image is downloaded, the image file name will also contain the preset name (if applicable) and the width x height of the file.
How the Image(s) will be Downloaded
- If your image is not supported for transformations or none have been selected, the image will immediately download to your browser.
- If transformations are required, this process may take a little longer depending on the size of the file. Once the transformation has been applied, the file will immediately download to your browser.
- When multiple versions of the image have been selected for download, they will be downloaded as a zipfile.
You can see an example of this process below.
To find out more about Single Download for other file types, you can read the article here.
Please note that the 'Resources' terminology referenced above may appear differently in your platform as these are customisable terms. You can view alternative options here.